Thursday, November 18, 2021

DEAD DOG CAFE COMEDY HOUR

    Several weeks ago I was out running errands when I ran into a book sale at the library. Among my purchases, I bought volumes 2-4 of "The Dead Dog Cafe Comedy Hour", a fifteen-minute satirical comedy show that aired on CBC Radio in the late nineties and early 2000s.


At the time it was broadcast, I had caught a couple episodes and didn't really get it. My roommate at the school I attended as a teenager didn't like it because he thought it was two Indians beating up the white guy, whereas my other friend at the school loved it and found it really funny. 


Having started to listen to the program since subsequently borrowing volume 1 from the library, I see the humour of the show coming mainly from the dichotomy between reserve and urban natives and the tension between tradition and the conveniences of the modern world, not really excoriating white people at all.

            

Plus, I was laughing out loud from the first episode and that, in the end, is what matters.


Check "Dead Dog Cafe" out from your local public library.

No comments: