Friday, August 26, 2022

REPLY AWL

Though I often rag on the mainstream media and will continue to do so, I really enjoyed a lot of the content in the most recent issues of the magazines I receive from CELA (the Centre for Equitable Library Access.)            


My heart was warmed by the book excerpt in the June issue of Reader's Digest (Canada) about the dad teaching his daughters to fly fish, something you don't often think of girls doing and enjoying. I also got my heart heated up with the article about the family trying to find the source of moths in their parents house while their father was dying.


In the June and July editions of Maclean's, I enjoyed the Moving articles, although to do what those featured did you'd probably have to have a pretty penny. I also felt informed by the profile of Faozia, the article about Kidcore and the piece about the future of malls.


The May/June issue of Canadian Geographic was chocked full of interesting articles as always.


As an ironic watcher of "Degrassi Junior High/High" back when CBC reran it around the turn of the millennium (and having read and parodied one of her books), I enjoyed the profile of Susin Nielsen in the Summer issue of Good Times. I also liked the article on Vermont in the same magazine.


Surprisingly, there were several articles in the May/June issue of Chatelaine I found interesting. I thought the article about incontinence (a sponsored article, no less) was well-written, balanced and well-researched. I especially appreciated the fact the sponsor, though mentioned as such at the beginning, didn't push their product in the article and, in fact, only once referred to their product's category in a general way, right next to a quote that such products shouldn't be used for too long. I also appreciated the article about incest, as this is a sin that needs to be a lot more exposed. I even got a few chuckles out of the "One Last Thing" column. 

No comments: