Tuesday, September 13, 2022

THE MOUSE AND HIS CHILD

Not everything for children is for all children.


I received the book on cassette from the CNIB and held onto it for a few years, finally getting around to reading it at fifteen or sixteen. 


At that age, I could tell this was an attempt by Russell Hoban, the author of the "Francis" picture books, to write a novel for that middle grade reader who would appreciate wittier humour and darker content. 


Watching the film tonight reminded me of that and cemented this opinion. Looking at YouTube comments, I can't believe people showed this to kids as young as nursery school age. Both media of this story are, I would say, for someone ten years old at least (depending on your child, of course), "The Mouse and His Child" being a dark parody of that age group's near past. 

No comments: