Thursday, June 15, 2023

BOOK THOUGHTS

Have been reading "The Animals in Their Elements" by Cynthia Flood. The stories I like in it are "Summer Lease", "To Make a Good Death", "Roses Are Red", and the title story.


I have a soft spot in my heart for Canadian historical children's books I read as a kid: "Underground to Canada", "Desperate Journey", "Harbour Thieves."


I find that a lot of the children's and young adult contemporary novels that have come out in the last while are actually really good, such as "My Book of Life by Angel", "Wild Awake", "Define Normal." The protagonists act like protagonists instead of just letting life happen to them.


Patricia A. McKillip's fantasy books, the two I read anyway, were the most boring thing I think I've ever read.


Too bad Carol Higgins Clark was so much worse an author than her mother.


Love the humour in Martha Grimes' books along with the mystery.


I have a special fondness for Elizabeth George's Linley and Havers books. Like Stephen King, George makes her books about people.


The first book for adults I ever read was "Bachelor's Annonymous" by P. G. Woodhouse.

No comments: