Monday, June 27, 2022

HOMETOWN PROUD

When people, and many folks have asked my dad how to describe where my hometown is, he often answers with either, “100 miles north of Toronto and half an inch from heaven.”  Or “God’s country.”  


I’ll admit, and so would my sister that when we were teenagers we thought our town to be “unsophisticated”  “country” and “trashy.”  Opting to put it in our rear views once old enough, but now that we’re older it holds a certain kind of charm for us. Why?


                           It’s Not Typical

Most Canadian towns are very driven by alcohol, but not my hometown.  Yes, we do have bars, but they aren’t all it has to offer.  You will fall in love with our cute little boutiques and artisan shops.


                           It Doesn’t Have Canadian Arrogance

When you pull in to the town I grew up in you’ll also notice folks act  differently.  For our American readers you might think with the warmth and friendliness of the locals that you are somewhere down south.  We take care of our own around here.  Example, when a neighbor of my mom’s was stricken with cancer, some of the ladies organized not only a quilting circle, but took meals to her. 


                           Family Values

This is another area where we buck trends, according to statistics couples are more likely to live together for at least one year before marriage.  Not in my hometown, that feeling of being in Bible Belt America continues, as many of us believe that this is living in sin.  While attending, I don’t know if it’s like this now, but the local elementary school, I knew of very few kids whose parents had separated or divorced.


                           Staying Faithful

While church attendance in Canada as a whole declines sharply, again we have bucked the trend.


Gillie 

No comments: