Wednesday, January 17, 2024

REAL PONIES DON'T GO OINK

By Patrick F. McManus. Boston: G. K. Hall and Company, 1974-1991.


I forgot how much I loved this guy.


The writings of most recent male humourists can be summed up as: my wife's a nag, my kids will be the death of me, my relatives aren't people any sane person would want to spend even five minutes with, my friends only exist to borrow things from me they don't return, anytime my wife asks me to perform even the simplest domestic chore the house almost ends up demolished, I have no practical skills whatsoever, and the only things I have in the way of any hobbies or interests are drinking beer and watching sports, either by myself or with my buddies.


Fortunately, Patrick F. McManus' humour and wit rises above this. His essays centre either on current adventures, childhood memories, or occasionally the more typical observations about life, but all with a motif of being an outdoorsman. The title essay is about how the author and his childhood friend, not having any horses to ride, rode pigs and pretended they were ponies, and what happened the one time they tried to lasoo a horse.


This is a good book to start with for those unfamiliar with this great and funny man.


Purchase it here.

No comments: