Thursday, November 10, 2022

MIXED FEELINGS ABOUT REMEMBRANCE DAY

Friday is Remembrance Day, and this has made me think.  When folks ask me “are you a proud Canadian?”  or whenever I hear Oh Canada, how do I feel?  I say it’s complicated.


I swell with something that can’t be described as pride whenever I go out of a city a few miles and am surrounded by rolling hills and verdant nature.  Overwhelmed by what God created is the only description I can truly find.  I also often tell friends, family, and whomever will listen that if you want to cure your Atheism just take a trip to the Rocky Mountains, or go to one of our National parks.  Or if like me you got to grow up where there were nature trails, go to one of them, don’t forget your camera or camera phone.


I have since I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior, asked myself, didn’t Canada once uphold Christian values?  Yes, at one point we did, traditional marriage, unwanted babies being placed with the perfect adoptive family, and children being children. For our younger readers, I was born in 1979, and remember saying the Lord’s Prayer up until around 3rd grade.  My mom who taught 5th grade in the 1970s told me that they still did Bible study in class, and she taught at a public elementary school.  We’ve gone from that to not even being able to say anything related to Biblical truth in class, or even in the corridors of schools.


                           What did my relatives fight for?


I had two great-uncles in WW 2 and a great-great-uncle who fought and died in WW 1.  I wonder what they would think of this agenda being taught to children as young as kindergarten, and wonder also if the values they knew would feel weird when taught now. 


Thank you great-great-uncle Harding for paying the ultimate sacrifice, right now I am able to express these feelings.  Thank you also great-uncle Budd, mom says you were a great roll model for what true patriotism looks like.  Great-uncle Bob, I wish I knew you better, but you lived too far away.


Gillie 

No comments: