Sunday, February 3, 2019

BEN HOWARD-EVERY KINGDOM

After downloading and listening to the deluxe edition from You
Tube, I have mixed feelings about this album.

First, it's evident in spades Ben Howard has songwriting, vocal ability and guitar talent. "Black Flies", "Bones" and "Empty Corridors" prove this. In fact, I don't remember when I've heard such good songwriting (in new music, that is.)

However-and maybe this is because I listened to the deluxe edition, the album gets quite repetitive after 15 songs (not of course counting the one that got deleted from the playlist version of the album I downloaded.) There are frequent metaphorical references to seasons, particularly winter, and a fair number of songs about women who give it all away and the men who are more than happy to take it from them.

In fact, the use of metaphor is so prevalent that it obscures the meanings of some of the songs.

Overall, an album containing lots of good stuff but not one with which I want to part money in order to have it in my possession.

I will, in any event, post this link to the album on YouTube.

No comments: