Saturday, January 19, 2019

THE MUSIC OF MY LIFE


Music is one of the most powerful memory triggers out there and here’s a program of songs that bring back a lot of memories for me.

The Clash – London Calling: A great song to kick off any set. Fell in love with this song the first time I heard it on the radio.

The Beatles – Across the Universe: What should have been the last track on their last album, this song, which I first heard in grade 9, makes me feel wistful and optimistic at the same time.

Theme from “Barney Miller”: I first encountered “Barney Miller” on Canadian cable channel Prime, which has since flipped formats a couple times. A TV theme you can truly rock out to!

Green Day – Hitchin a Ride: I first heard this on-air at my college radio station. My producer cranked it up. It just so happened one of the teachers was leading a group of prospective students on a tour of the radio broadcasting department and entered at that moment to show them the studio. It was serendipitous.


Brand New – Glory Fades: This came out earlier. A well-written song with a great riff and unique perspective.

Billy Joel – Captain Jack: First heard this song on a short-lived WBCQ program whose name I can’t remember. This song really gives a snapshot of the time in which it was written. Also, as someone who had just finished college, I related to a lot of the lyrics.

Hal Kemp – The Gold Digger’s Song (We’re In the Money): Reminds me of standing outside in the November weather at the school for the blind listening to “Uncle Ed’s Musical Memories” on WBCQ and developing my obsession with the music of the twenties.

Buck 65 – Wicked and Weird: Reminds me of listening to CBC Radio Two’s Saturday night shows during my high school years.

The Beatles – All Together Now: First heard this song on “Allan Weiner Worldwide.”

Limp Bizkit – Almost Over: Reminds me of listening to 95.1 The Nerve Rochester the summer before I went to college.

Ozomatlei – Saturday Night: I first heard this on Blind Paul’s “Pan Global Wireless” on WBCQ during the NHL playoffs in 2004.

DJ Serious featuring D-Sisive – Popped: This song reminds me of “The Breaks” on CJLX.

Tom Waites – In the Neighborhood: One of the first Tom Waites songs I ever heard. I was hooked.

Moby – Honey: One morning when I was in grade 10, I turned on the radio and came across WBER Rochester. I heard this and a couple other songs and my love of alternative rock began.

Nervous Norvus – Transfusion: Brings back memories of listening to “Finkleman’s 45s” with my parents as a child. This would never be allowed on the radio if written today.

Impending Doom – There Will be Violence: A terrific song musically and with a message many need to heed.

Wilf Carter – The Smoke Went Up the Chimney Just the Same: I remember this from the show Andrew Younghusband (of “Canada’s Worst Drivers” and “Handymen” fame) had on CBC in summer 2004. You can really picture this taking place.

The Black Keys – Next Girl: I’d heard the band’s other hits on the radio but I found this one through a blog.

Citizen Cope – Pablo Picasso: This song was played in the late evenings on CBC during the strike in 2005. One of the most wonderfully bizarre songs I’ve ever heard. The other thing that was special about the time I first heard this song was for the first time in 19 years that September, I didn’t have to go back to school after Labour Day!

Kings of Leon – The Bucket: Back in 2005, before all the garbage, Kings of Leon were good.

Louis Armstrong and His Hot Five – Hotter Than That: I remember this from Ken Barryhill’s “Old Record Shop” on WWCR.

Barenaked Ladies – Lovers In a Dangerous Time: This song was playing on the radio as my parents drove me to the house where I would live on my own.

No comments: