Friday, March 16, 2012

JAY SMILKSTEIN IS DEAD

Shortwave character and frequent caller to Allen Weener Worldwide Jay Smilkstein died this past Monday at his home in Mount Kisco.

Smilkstein was teased a lot by the shortwave pirate community over the years. He was nicknamed Bozo for his resemblance to Bozo the clown.

In the end, however, it seemed like the community came together for him, sympathizing with his financial and health problems.

For my part, I enjoyed the various audio colages and jokes that were made about Jay over the years.

Once I heard Jay call Brother Stair's voicemail. It blew my mind.

If anyone needs me, I'll be at the A and P, either there or the Burger King (anyone remember that particular call?)

1 comment:

will hauff said...

So sorry to hear that Jay has passed away. I knew he had had some heart trouble, I believe. WBCQ and the radio host Kracker will never be the same again. Even here in Toronto Jay Smilkstein's name was known and though a lot of people made fun of him I am certain that they cared for him in their own way. A character like Jay only comes along once in a lifetime and his eccentricities will be missed. Sincere condolences to his family. We miss you Jay!!