Tuesday, May 10, 2011

VA SCAM

Got this in my email. Don't know how legit it is, but if it is legit this behaviour would not be atypical of the VA.

If it is of any use to you: A few years ago, I had 30 opioid pills
prescribed at the Washington VA. They were to be shipped via USPS.
Only 2 of them arrived. As you might expect, my calls and visits
resulted in a runaround with no effect and even worse, with the people
I contacted showing boredom. I got the clear although unspoken message
that it wasn't anything that hadn't already happened many times
before. A little back-of-the-envelope math pointed to right much
money--enough to grease the necessary palms.

I guess the people I got in touch with, at least one of whom I still
believe to have been honest, had long since realized there was nothing
that could be done. The scam was too easy to run. You just pocket 28
pills and drop the bottle in the mailbox. Nobody checks you. Or... if
anybody does check you, they make a nice chunk of change. And you
certainly know as well as I do what the attitude of the VA people is
like.

No comments: