Thursday, December 3, 2009

JAYHAED SAADE, KEEP IT UP

A 14-year old Ottawa boy refuses to shut down Mix FM, his pirate radio station.

Claiming to broadcast from a yet-to-be constructed building and with an antenna on top of an Ottawa hotel, Saade and his friends have been playing requests and taking phone calls, despite a cease and desist order from Industry Canada.

The website where I read about this story derides Saade's activities, saying "His friends like it, he plays all their requests." Yeah, and in college we were told not to even take requests. Pretty crummy.

The author of the site says, "For a headshaking read" we should check out the battle Saade is waging with posters on some tech forum of some sort, but typical of the links on this man's site, the link to the forum didn't work.

So Ottawa finally got a good radio station. I would like to applaud this boys eferts and tell him to keep it up.

Of course people like the author of the site I got this story from-oh buck, that's too complicated, I'll just refer to him as John Milkey-find this boy exercising his right to speak without paying the government the fees to broadcast appalling.

The story of this pirate broadcaster is immediately followed on John Milkey's website by an itim about how Astral Media Montreal English has appointed a promotions director for each of it's three radio stations. Sure, now that they've fired so many of the announcers they think they can buy the listeners off with contests in exchange for ever crummier programming.

Next, there follows a story about the Jack FM format launching in England, along with the usual claptrap about how good it is. Never mind that this format has failed in every market it was in except Vancouver.

Then there follows a story from the day before about long-time Easy Rock Toronto mid-day host Deryl Henry getting fired.

In an industry that is literally getting worse by the day, we need people like Jayhaed Saade to set up pirate radio stations.

21 comments:

Alex Horton said...

Now that's good copy.

Anonymous said...

Hello, as you may already noticed I am recent here.
Hope to get some assistance from you if I will have any quesitons.
Thanks and good luck everyone! ;)

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...


You've gotten one of the greatest internet websites.

Anonymous said...

Thanks , I’ve just been looking for info about this subject for a long time and yours is the best I have found out till now. But, what concerning the conclusion? Are you sure concerning the source?|What i don’t understood is in truth how you are no longer really much more well-favored than you might be right now. You are so intelligent.

Anonymous said...

Much more of this please

Anonymous said...

What's up, this weekend is good in support of me, because this time i am reading this fantastic informative piece of writing here at
my house.

Anonymous said...

Hmm it looks like your website ate my first comment (it was
super long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I had written and say,
I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to everything.
Do you have any suggestions for first-time blog writers?
I'd genuinely appreciate it.

Alex Horton said...

Blog about the things you are genuinely passionate about; not what you think will get the most hits.

Anonymous said...

Hello, I enjoy reading all of your post. I wanted to write
a little comment to support you.

Alex Horton said...

To the person who asked what to do about spam: I find comment moderation and Blogger's filters work well enough for me.

Anonymous said...

I am really grateful to the owner of this web page
who has shared this fantastic post at at this place.

Anonymous said...

Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you penning this write-up and also the rest of the website is also very good.

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Ohio! I'm bored to death at work so I decided to browse your site on my
iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the information you present here
and can't wait to take a look when I get home. I'm amazed at how fast
your blog loaded on my mobile .. I'm not even using WIFI,
just 3G .. Anyhow, amazing site!

Anonymous said...

I was excited to uncover this web site. I want to to thank you for ones
time for this particularly wonderful read!! I definitely really
liked every part of it and i also have you saved to fav to
look at new information on your website.

Anonymous said...

Hi there I am so excited I found your weblog, I really found you by accident, while
I was looking on Yahoo for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to say
kudos for a fantastic post and a all round exciting blog
(I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to look over it all at the moment but
I have bookmarked it and also included your RSS feeds,
so when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up the fantastic work.

Anonymous said...

I love looking through a post that will make men and women think.
Also, many thanks for allowing for me to comment!

Anonymous said...

Asking questions are genuinely nice thing if you are not understanding something completely, but this article gives good understanding yet.

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed, I have to admit. Seldom do I come across
a blog that's both equally educative and amusing, and let
me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head.
The issue is something which not enough people are speaking
intelligently about. I'm very happy that I found this during my search for something regarding this.

Anonymous said...

What's up, this weekend is pleasant for me, because this time i am reading this great informative post here at my residence.

Anonymous said...

Hey there, I think your site might be having browser compatibility issues.
When I look at your blog in Ie, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it
has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up!
Other then that, great blog!