Monday, September 4, 2023

JOHN MELLENCAMP CLAIMS ONLY TWO PERCENT OF BLACKS IN AMERICA HAVE BETTER LIVES THAN SLAVES

John Mellecamp Shares Wild Comments About Race, Black People

 

OutKick

 

JOHN MELLENCAMP CLAIMS ONLY 2% OF BLACK PEOPLE IN AMERICA HAVE BETTER LIVES THAN SLAVES

by DAVID HOOKSTEAD

August 29, 2023, 7:35 amupdated August 29, 2023, 11:10 am

 

John Mellencamp went off the rails during an interview with Bill Maher.

The famous singer joined Maher on the “Club Random Podcast,” and the conversation went all over the place. However, there was one part that seemed to stick out above the rest.

Mellencamp and Maher got into a heated exchange over race in America, and the singer claimed “1% or 2% of black people in America” have a better life than what the slaves did.

 

Now, that’s not me reading into the situation. The two were comparing the differences of picking cotton in the fields to becoming sports stars, and Mellencamp seems to think life isn’t different at all for most black people than it was 200 years ago. Maher, to his credit, refused to tolerate that nonsense.

 

Below is the text of the exchange (via the show’s transcript):

 

block quote

 

John: I wrote a song that I never recorded because I thought it was wrong but it was called from the f*cking cotton fields to the playing fields. My point is that yes so what. Us as white people love to have black people entertain us.

 

Bill: I would say that the playing fields are a lot better than the cotton fields. That’s what I would say about that. Maybe I’m crazy John but it seems like making no money as a slave picking cotton, it was not as good as playing left field for the Yankees. I’m sure there were reasons why Dave Winfield has some beef against Steinbrenner.

 

John: No doubt there is 1% or 2% of black people in America who have a better life.

 

Bill: Oh, stop. That’s what you think. 1% or 2%.

 

John: Okay let’s say 10%. I’m just pulling the number out of my ass.

 

Bill: It is, that’s where it belongs.

 

John: I just pulled the number out of my ass.

 

Bill: I know but I’m telling you that’s just not true.

 

block quote end

 

The two also battled over climate change, whether or not the government should be trusted and much more. You can watch the entire interview below. The specific part about race starts around 27 minutes in.

 

John Mellecamp Shares Wild Comments About Race, Black People – OutKick 

No comments: