Thursday, January 27, 2011

THE BILLBOARD BOOK OF NUMBER ONE HITS

Heartaches By The Number: Pastor Peters has done a version of this song. Here is an approximation of some of the lyrics:

Blessing number one was when you
Died on the cross.

I’ve got blessings by the number,
Praises by the score.

The book does mention Guy Mitchell’s death. I was mistaken.

El Paso: My parents have an album this song appears on, “The Master’s Call.” It is actually quite a good album. The title track in particular just blew me away the first time I heard it.

I have also heard all the songs from the original album on which this song appears, “Gunfighter Ballads And Trail Songs.” I don’t find that album to be very good.

The first time I heard this song was in a commercial for Old El Paso taco kits.

The Smothers Brothers did a parody version of this song called “The Streets Of Loreto.”

I met a cowboy
On the streets of Loreto,
He had an outfit
And I had one, too.

If you want to be a cowboy
Get yourself an outfit,
Then you will be
A cowboy, too.

Theme From A Summer Place: Why does the CBC not mention the fact Percy Faith was Canadian?

By the way, Fred Bronson, its Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, not Canadian Broadcasting Company. The CBC has always been incorporated.

Alley-oop: I first heard this song on an 8 track version of the album “Goofy Greats.” My friend’s father had said 8 track, and he was playing it in the car when we were going down to the lake for a swim. Being obsessed with 8 tracks at the time, I thought it was absolutely cool he had an 8 track player in his car.

Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini: This song was created to encourage the immodesty that would come later on in the sixties.

Double Exposure did a parody version of this song. In 1997, the Ontario government allowed women to go topless in public.

Mike Harris on where you can go
Topless in Ontario.
It’s OK to show an itsy bitsy Teeny Weeny
Little bit of your bekini.

The only other line of the song I can clearly remember is:

Don’t go topless down on Yonge Street.

The Twist: This song was created to encourage the promiscuity that would come later in the sixties. A clear case of if it looks like a duck, has feathers and quacks, it’s a duck.

No comments: