Thursday, February 26, 2009

CKNX-TV AND CHWI-TV TO BE CLOSED

CTV has decided to close two of it's A stations, Cknx Wingham and Chwi Windsor because the company is going through hard times financially.

This doesn't exactly arouse my sympathies.

Though I have never watched ither of these two stations, I have watched stations in the same network.

The station I watched the most was Ckvr in Barry. I used to watch it all the time when I visited my Grandma in Toronto. It broadcast lots of old shows. Leave It To Beaver at noon was a staple in many households in the GTA, I'm sure. Then, in 1995, the stations were bought by Chum, who changed their names to "The New" (Vr, Nx, Wi etc.) The newspeople started waving promotional boards in front of the camera, and they started showing things like Buffy The Vampire Slayer and other garbage in primetime. After a while, the stations became "A Channel" then "A."

So basically, you had five stations in Ontario that showed unique and local programming. Then Chum bought them and they started showing crummy American shows that no other network would buy and running things like Jerry Springer and reruns of Touched By An Angel during the day. I checked out "A" Wingham's schedule today and in primetime tonightat 7:30 they're showing a show you can see on another channel later on followed by a bunch of shows you can see on the American networks.

These two stations don't deserve to be on the air.

No comments: