Friday, July 17, 2020

BEING THE SCULPTOR AND THE SCULPTED

Much like preparing a book for print, producing an audiobook involves many people. We begin with a narrator who records the book. Then an editor listens to the recording to take note of any errors. Finally, a sound editor enhances the sound files.
Vince Agostini, one of our newest volunteer sound editors, has been a sound engineer for his entire professional life. While he sees himself as a sculptor of sound, as a Christian, he is also being sculpted by God. He shares his Christian journey of following God and his story of volunteering at TBL as our sound editor.
What is one major change in your life after you became a Christian?
I have been a sound engineer since the 1980s and I wanted to record my own music. After becoming a Christian at 18 years old, I abandoned my dream of recording my own music as I realized that living a Spirit-led life was much more purposeful than pursuing my dreams. It was important for me to listen to God and seek where He leads me. Looking back, I knew it was a good decision to allow the Spirit to work in my life.
What is your experience working with Christian ministries and how has that shaped your spiritual growth?
There were ten years where I worked with Charles Price, former Senior Pastor of The Peoples Church in Toronto. I was the sound producer on his radio ministry Living Truth. It was a weekly radio show, with five 30-minute sermons each week. Working on his sermons always meant more than working with sounds. I would look up the Scriptures he taught and I always learned something from his sermons. It was very enriching to be preached to every week for ten years and it had a positive impact on me. It was a blessing for me to be submerged in his sermons and in the Word.
How did you learn about TBL and how did you become a volunteer?
Although I do not know any visually impaired persons and working with them was not my original intention, I have heard of the history of TBL when it was still at Canadian Blind Mission’s office (now Hope and Healing International). But the Lord led me here. A friend knew that I am a sound engineer and he recently referred me to TBL. Since becoming a TBL volunteer, I have produced one audio book, Texas Pursuit by Debra White Smith. I believe that there is a great potential in reaching the visually impaired with audio materials, especially when many people in the world are illiterate.
image
image
Left: Vince with Leslie Nielsen working on a commercial for March of Dimes.
Right: Vince working for the Christian Children's Fund in Guatemala.
How do you see your Christian identity through your professional and volunteer work?
In my career I had to use my ears a lot. Being both a sound engineer and a Christian involve listening intensely. While producing an audio book requires working with sounds, being a Christian is about listening to and following God’s voice. In my Christian journey, I have learned to place less weight on wealth and material benefit that can come from being a successful sound engineer. However, for me, the most important lesson is to seek God and learn to recognize His voice. Knowing Him is my priority as a Christian. So while my entire professional and volunteer life have been sculpting sounds, I am also being sculpted by God into His likeness and going where He takes me.
How do you foresee technology can assist the visually impaired with reading?
I have witnessed how technology has evolved a lot over time. Christianity has always been at the forefront of technology: bibles were printed when the printing press became available, and the introduction of radio programs allowed sermons to be preached and broadcasted to far places. Christians should continue to use technology to share the Gospel. There are now tools that help people create, store, distribute and access audio material. This can greatly help the visually impaired with staying connected with the world.
image
How do you want to serve in the future?
I am satisfied with my career as I approach retirement, knowing that I have walked in God’s will and have sought Him intensely. Going forward, I am simply happy to serve wherever the Lord takes me. As Galatians 6:10 teaches, “So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.”
I am grateful for the opportunity to serve. Since I do not know the future, I can only take it one step at a time but soon, I will need to get my hands onto the second book for TBL. My hope is to proclaim the Gospel, regardless of the medium. After all, the Bible teaches us that we are called to preach and “faith comes from hearing and hearing through the world of Christ” (Romans 10:14-17).
Join the TBL team as a sound editor and bless our patrons by being involved in an important step in the audio book production process. Contact the TBL office and we would love to get back to you with opportunities once our office reopens.
Visit our website at www.talkingbooklibrary.org.

image
Do you find yourself facing hurdles in your relationships? If you are looking for ways to develop lifelong bonds with others, Gary Chapman's The 5 Love Languages may help you learn how to communicate with and express love to others. This book teaches you to communicate so you can better show and receive love. The 5 Love Languages is now available in the CELA library in DAISY format.
Search our book list at www.talkingbooklibrary.org.
image

Support Us!P.O. Box 700, STN Main, Stouffville, ON L4A 7Z9
905-640-8825

No comments: