Sunday, October 31, 2021

BEING VULNERABLE

    When I say the word vulnerable, what first comes to mind? Do you picture a small child or an elderly person? Does a negative image appear, or have you never really given it much in the way of thought? As Christians we should allow ourselves to be vulnerable for God, away of letting Him in to whatever you or I might be facing.


For the last several months I have experienced abdominal pain and weight loss. I have gone to many doctors and had tests, but haven’t really gotten many answers. On July 20 2021 I felt and experienced stomach pain like I had never really experienced. I thought I was passing a kidney stone or something of that nature, and ended up calling an ambulance. I live in the inner-city, so am not far from some world class level 1 trauma centers. I got there shortly after ten PM that night, and then the waiting began.


As I waited to see the physician on duty I reminded myself of two truths. 


1. that unlike the rotary phone I had as a small child God’s line is never too busy. 


2. that whatever this is God’s in control. I As I continued to wait, and as the pain tortured me in its own horrible way I alternated between reciting Scriptures in my head, and praying.


My emergency room visit turned out to be inconclusive, so more tests were ordered. I was not so much worried, but allowed myself to let God comfort me. I also reminded myself of this revival I had been involved in in January, of which the theme was Wake Me, Break Me, Send Me.


Like I said I have had to have some recent tests and procedures, some of which I could not be by myself for. My mom, who lives about a hundred fifty miles away came to stay with me for the preparations, and to make sure after the procedures I was ok.


Vulnerability is not a sign of weakness, we are to humble ourselves, and allow God to work on and in us. In these last few months I have really learned to, as my friend in Alabama says, “let go and let God.” It’s been quite a tough time, but I’ll get through.


Gillie 

No comments: